Opportunity Council/Child Care Aware of Northwest Washington
- When dealing with any confidential material (including, but not limited to, referral recipients’, children’s, and/or licensed child care providers’ names, physical/mailing addresses, email addresses, telephone numbers, birthdates, and social security numbers), Child Care Aware of Northwest Washington staff members are required to follow specific guidelines. All staff members must dispose of confidential documents only in recycling bins marked “CONFIDENTIAL.” The documents in this bin are shredded by a third party. Staff members must treat documents as confidential if they contain financial, statistical, personal, or other sensitive information. Staff members must discuss material of a sensitive nature only with colleagues and supervisors who have a legitimate work-related need to know. Information about the affairs of any agency client or member of their family may not be discussed outside the office, unless the client has given written consent to release his/her information with a case manager, physician, parole officer, etc.
- Staff members may not disseminate or transmit lists of data outside of the agency unless they are certain that (1) there is a business requirement or other clear need for the material or information to be transmitted out of the agency, and (2) the confidentiality of the materials will be preserved by the recipient. Under circumstances that benefit licensed child care providers in the NACCRRAware database,Child Care Aware of Northwest Washington staff members must follow specific guidelines for disseminating information. First, a representative from the organization must complete and sign an “Agreement of Confidentiality” form created by Opportunity Council/Child Care Aware of Northwest Washington. The form requires the organization to clearly identify itself and its purpose for requesting licensed child care providers’ information, such as mailing address labels to send out a STARS workshop announcement. The form also requires the representative to give his/her current contact information to Child Care Aware of Northwest Washington. By signing the form, the organization’s representative agrees to: use the information given in an appropriate manner; not abuse the information given; not photocopy the information; nor give the information to any other person; use the information in a confidential manner solely for the purpose written on the form. After completing and signing the “Agreement of Confidentiality” form, the representative submits a $10.00 handling/processing fee to Child Care Aware of Northwest Washington and a copy of the document that will be mailed, so that Child Care Aware of Northwest Washington can retain the request and flyer it in its records.
- Child Care Aware of Northwest Washington staff members may also share licensed child care providers’ information with the Department of Early Learning (DEL) and Local Health Jurisdictions (LHJ). Guidelines for the sharing of information between Child Care Aware of Northwest Washington and DEL are clearly outlined in our “Working Agreement.” Guidelines for sharing information with public health partners are clearly outlined in the annual “Working Agreement” that is signed by the appropriate supervisors at the respective agencies.
- Child Care Aware of Northwest Washington staff members may share licensed child care providers’ information when working with local law enforcement on Community Notification Bulletins. Staff members can provide a list of licensed child care facilities based on a specified distance from a given address. The list will include the facility’s business name, a contact name, the facility’s physical address, and a telephone number. Financial, statistical, personal, and/or other sensitive information belonging to either referral recipients or licensed child care providers may also be shared as per Child Care Aware Northwest Washington contract. For example, client information must be released to the State of Washington Department of Early Learning and to Child Care Aware of Washington State (Network) for specific reasons, such as investigating child care subsidy fraud, distributing surveys as a way to assess and evaluate services provided, monitoring the quality of the data, and/or compiling data for reporting purposes.
- All Child Care Aware of Northwest Washington computer workstations are password protected. Both provider and client information that is kept in the NACCRRAware database is secure; the information is encrypted during the transaction of information via the Internet. Also, since the Linux system is used, as opposed to Windows, information kept in the NACCRRAware database is more secure. Child Care Aware of Northwest Washington staff members maintain database security, as a username and password is required to get on the computer and furthermore into the database. Whenever staff members leave their desk, they are either required to log out completely, or initiate the desktop screensaver, both of which require username and password to get back to the original screen. In the event that a Child Care Aware of Northwest Washington staff member leaves his/her position in the program, then a database administrator nullifies the staff member’s username and password, preventing the staff member from logging in to either the computer or database.
Child Care Aware of Northwest Washington
1111 Cornwall Avenue, Suite 200
Bellingham, WA 98225
360-734-8396 or 888-444-1862, ext. 227