Visit Website Samish Indian Nation
Position: Kitchen Assistant
Supervisor: Food Services Manager
Wage: $15.74 – $22.26 per hour, FLSA Non-Exempt
Hours: up to 40 hours per week, Monday-Friday
Duration: Based on Available Funding, Part-time Regular at completion of six-month probationary period
The Kitchen Assistant is responsible for assisting kitchen operations for the Samish Longhouse and Elders’ Program. The Kitchen Assistant will help operate the food service programs in accordance with state licensing regulations, and in compliance with grant(s) requirements. Although this position is not directly responsible for leading menu planning or activity implementation, the full support of program values and activities is expected, and input regarding planning and center operations is encouraged. The Kitchen Assistant may also provide occasional support for classroom operations.
Sign-on bonus to be paid out after 180-day trial employment period ends.
1. Assist with daily meal preparation & kitchen duties for classrooms and elders, as directed by Food Services Manager. Routine duties will include: dishwashing, facility prep and cleaning, delivery driving, shopping, receiving freight, food preparation and meal service
2. Maintains highest standards for sanitation and cleanliness and grant requirements, as relevant to position, and supports the center in striving for full compliance each day
3. Maintains a general understanding of state licensing regulations and grant requirements, as relevant to position, and supports the center in striving for full compliance each day
4. Fosters and maintains relationships with Elders participants, Head Start and Childcare children and families, and community members through phone calls, support of nutrition education activities, and participation in family engagement events and Elders social gatherings
5. Maintains confidentiality for all children, families, Elders and staff. Exercises appropriate discretion in information sharing with other staff as it applies to job responsibilities on a need-to-know basis
6. Attends trainings as relevant to staff development plans. Maintains current certification for First Aid, CPR, Food Handler’s Permit, and health checks
7. Complies with CPS mandated reporting requirements for child abuse and neglect
8. May provide occasional breaks for Longhouse staff as requested and scheduled by the Longhouse Director
9. Provides support on occasions as bus duties such as bus monitoring
10. Other duties as assigned
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by a person in this position. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties that may be performed in such a position.
1. Must be at least 18 years of age
2. Must possess strong written, verbal, and interpersonal skills, and be comfortable working in team environments
3. Able to carry forty pounds without difficulty, sit in a child-sized chair, move quickly from multiple positions and levels
4. Must obtain Food Handles Permit, and First Aid, and CPR certifications within 30 days of hire
5. Must have initial TB test, and be free from communicable disease
6. Must pass state, federal, and Department of Early Learning fingerprinting and background checks
**Obtaining full COVID-19 vaccination no later than 60 days from the hire date will be a condition of employment for all Samish employees**
Physical Demands: Must be able to lift and carry 40 lbs; able to stand (80% of time), sit (20% of time), as well as frequently stoop, squat, lift, kneel, bend, reach, and run (30% of time); possess manual dexterity sufficient to use hand writing materials, computers, and office equipment to prepare reports and documentation; be physically able to move through classrooms, ride along and load/unload from a school bus; Mental/Visual Demands: Constant mental, visual, and audio supervision of children and attention may be required.. Tasks involve eye-hand coordination. Working Environment: mainly indoors with heat and some air conditioning. Must be able to move around for the majority of shift. Unavoidable hazards/risks: Frequent use of knives. Possibility of exposure to corrosive chemicals used for cleaning. Possibility of exposure to blood and bodily fluids; possibility of exposure to communicable diseases. Protective clothing or equipment may be required (goggles, gloves, masks, boots, etc.)
Samish Indian Nation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively encourages applications from all persons regardless of race, religion, gender, gender identity, age, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, or ancestry. Samish preference and Indian preference will be applied to the selection for this position as defined in Title 25, US Code Section 473.
CONFIDENTIALITY: This position develops, maintains, and is responsible for safeguarding the computer/electronic and hardcopy file folders containing sensitive and proprietary information about the Tribe and its members. The incumbent must maintain confidentiality of all work and files pertaining to enrollment, clients, survey results, and all other material that may identify individuals by name (either directly or by reference), as set forth by the Tribal Council in the Personnel Manual. Any violation in this matter may result in immediate termination of employment.
Please state your eligibility for Indian preference in your cover letter. Indian preference must be documented prior to interview or hiring. BIA Form 4432 or tribal enrollment ID may be submitted with the application if claiming Indian Preference.
All persons who are offered employment with the Samish Indian Nation must give permission for a thorough background check of previous work performance, motor vehicle history, credit history and criminal history, as well as a pre-employment drug screen.
This position is a “covered position” under the Tribe’s Indian Child and Family Violence Act Policy and all applicants must undergo a fingerprint background investigation in order to be hired for this position. The Tribe will not hire, permit anyone to work or volunteer in a covered position if the person has ever been found guilty or entered a plea of no contest or guilty to any offense under federal, state, or Tribal law which involves violence, threat of violence, sexual assault, molestation, exploitation, prostitution, crimes against persons, or offenses committed against children.
To apply for this job please visit www.samishtribe.nsn.us.