Visit Website Samish Indian Nation
Title: Early Head Start (EHS) Center Manager
Supervisor: Head Start, ELC Director
Salary: $23.64 – $29.98 per hour, FLSA Exempt
Hours: 40 hours per week, Monday-Friday with some weekend and evening work
Duration: Based on available funding, Full-time Regular status at completion of six-month probationary period
The Early Head Start (EHS) Center Manager is responsible for managing the day-to-day operation of the Early Head Start – CCDF center, including: supervision, monitoring and evaluation of teaching and janitorial staff. The EHS Center Manager ensures the curriculum planning, record keeping, family and community partnerships are in accordance with Performance Standards and State regulations. This position is responsible for educational supplies and material orders within the budget and the implementation of the Head Start Performance Standards. This position supports the Head Start, ELC Director to ensure the operation of the center is run effectively to support as many children and families as possible including full operational Home-Based Option program when needed.
1. Ensures daily that the overall program quality offered at the Early Head Start – CCDF Program adheres to all State laws and licensing regulations, the Federal Head Start Performance Standards, Samish Indian Nation Personnel Policies and Procedures and instructions from the Head Start Early Learning Director
2. Supervises all Early Learning Center teaching staff and janitorial staff, coaches and develops skills in accordance with policies of the Tribe, Federal Head Start, Federal Child Care Development Fund, and State regulations. This includes always ensuring proper staffing levels, administer staff reviews, and recommendations to Director on staffing needs
3. Assist the HRED and the Director with hiring of the center’s teaching staff and janitorial staff
4. Identifies training needs of Center’s teaching staff and janitorial staff, and provides training, support, evaluation and direction required for program effectiveness and professional development
5. Documents and tracks appropriate form(s) to ensure all the program requirements are met in the mandated time frame as per the Head Start Performance Standards. Ensures that all center staff documents are tracked as required
6. Assist the Director with planning monthly staff meetings and attends, upon request from the Director, other Samish Indian Nation meetings
7. Assist the Director with monthly monitoring and all required reporting along with administrative duties such as assisting with the development of grant applications, self-assessments, and community surveys
8. Ensures that the center environment (indoors and outdoors) is developmentally appropriate, safe, and offers children a wide variety of experiences
9. Reviews Lesson Plans including Home-Based Option program to insure input from families, staff, children, consultants and the Family Advocate and Education Managers
10. Attends all mandatory Tribal Council, Tribal staff, and relevant committee meetings, as well as organizes and facilitates Policy Council, Health Services Advisory Committee, Parent Committee, and other meetings
11. Monitors the required screening and ongoing assessment of children according to policies and procedures and as required by the Head Start Performance Standards
12. Ensures that the program’s Transition Plan for children and families is implemented
13. Monitors the center for any infectious diseases and managing proper response
14. Implements the Federal Performance Standards for Children with Disabilities in the Head Start Program with assistance and input from the Director
15. Implements, as a member of a multi-disciplinary team, each child’s Individual Education Plan (IEP)/Individual Family Service Plan (IFSP) and participates in case conferencing, as needed
16. Completes other duties as assigned
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by a person in this position. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties that may be performed in such a position.
1. Must possess Associate Degree with an emphasis in Administration, Early Childhood Education, Child Development, or other related fields
2. Must complete 30 hours Basic STARS course and 10 STARS hours of continuing education each year
3. Must have two to three years of strong supervision experience preferably in child care or education environment
5. Must be highly proficiency in Microsoft Office software
6. Must possess excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal skills
7. Must obtain First Aid and CPR certifications within 30 days of hire
8. Must have initial TB test, and be free from communicable disease
9. Must possess Food Handlers Permit before employment
10. Must pass state, federal, and Department of Early Learning fingerprinting and background checks
11. Must possess a valid driver’s license and insurance and be able to operate tribal vehicles to complete food and supply purchases and meal deliveries
**Obtaining full COVID-19 vaccination no later than 60 days from the hire date will be a condition of employment for all Samish employees**
Physical Demands: Long periods of sitting (60% of time); occasional bending, crouching, stooping, stretching, reaching, lifting, carrying, and pushing (20% of time); and occasional standing and walking (20% of time). Occasionally lifts/carries up to 30 lbs. Must possess manual dexterity sufficient to use office equipment with frequent repetitive motion such as writing, typing, cash handling, and phone use. Must possess the ability to view print on a computer screen and/or paper document; the ability to speak and hear exchanging information with end users by telephone. Mental/Visual Demands: Frequent mental and/or visual attention to task is required. Occasionally work requires heavy concentration. Frequent interruptions. Tasks involve eye-hand coordination. Working Environment: Work environment is mainly indoors with heat and some air conditioning. Must sit or stand at desk for the majority of shift. Sometimes works alone without benefit of supervisor or co-worker. Unavoidable hazards/risks: Work requires minimal risks which require safety precautions (using some cleaning chemicals for light cleaning). Protective clothing or equipment may be required (goggles, gloves, masks, boots, etc.)
Samish Indian Nation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively encourages applications from all persons regardless of race, religion, gender, gender identity, age, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, or ancestry. Samish preference and Indian preference will be applied to the selection for this position as defined in Title 25, US Code Section 473.
CONFIDENTIALITY: This position develops, maintains, and is responsible for safeguarding the computer/electronic and hardcopy file folders containing sensitive and proprietary information about the Tribe and its members. The incumbent must maintain confidentiality of all work and files pertaining to enrollment, clients, survey results, and all other material that may identify individuals by name (either directly or by reference), as set forth by the Tribal Council in the Personnel Manual. Any violation in this matter may result in immediate termination of employment.
Please state your eligibility for Indian preference in your cover letter. Indian preference must be documented prior to interview or hiring. BIA Form 4432 or tribal enrollment ID may be submitted with the application if claiming Indian Preference.
All persons who are offered employment with the Samish Indian Nation must give permission for a thorough background check of previous work performance, motor vehicle history, credit history and criminal history, as well as a pre-employment drug screen.
This position is a “covered position” under the Tribe’s Indian Child and Family Violence Act Policy and all applicants must undergo a fingerprint background investigation in order to be hired for this position. The Tribe will not hire, permit anyone to work or volunteer in a covered position if the person has ever been found guilty or entered a plea of no contest or guilty to any offense under federal, state, or Tribal law which involves violence, threat of violence, sexual assault, molestation, exploitation, prostitution, crimes against persons, or offenses committed against children.
To apply for this job please visit www.samishtribe.nsn.us.