Visit Website Samish Indian Nation
Position: Early Childhood Education Support Specialist
Supervisor: Head Start, ELC Director
Wage: $16.62 – $21.98 per hour, FLSA Non-Exempt
Hours: 40 hours per week, Monday-Friday
Duration: Based on available funding, Full-Time Regular at completion of six month probationary period
The ECE Support Specialist performs routine filing, data entry, answers phones and greets visitors throughout the day at the Samish Longhouse. Additional responsibilities will include maintaining the inventory of materials for the program, filing and, helping to complete purchase orders. This person will provide regular classroom relief for classroom staff, support as a bus monitor, and assisting with supervision of children as necessary.
1. Greets and interacts with visitors, families, children, elders, and staff with courtesy and high-quality customer service that is reflective of a positive, nurturing environment
2. Assists the Director with daily functions by providing information upon request, copying, scanning, faxing, filing and maintaining an organized filing and storage system
3. Answers incoming phone calls and distributes messages as needed, in a professional, timely, courteous, and confidential manner
4. Maintains confidentiality for all children, families, and staff; exercises appropriate discretion in information sharing with other staff as it applies to job responsibilities on a need-to-know basis
5. Retrieves mail daily, processes mail as directed, and responds to correspondence as needed
6. Works closely with classroom staff to verify daily attendance reports, call parents when a child is absent, or call parents when a child needs to be picked up early due to illness
7. Provides relief in the classroom, and supervision of children for the classroom staff
8. Performs data collection and entry for program operations
9. Prepares purchase orders, calendars, notices home to parents, newsletters, and other documents as requested
10. Maintains updated inventory of program resources and materials and prepares resupply orders as needed
11. Keeps office clean, presentable, and professional including front desk, waiting areas, hallway/entry, and storage areas
12. Assists as a bus monitor when needed
13. Attends training as relevant to staff development plans; maintains current certification for First Aid, CPR, Food Handler’s Permit, and health checks; complies with CPS mandated reporting requirements for child abuse and neglect
14. Performs other duties as assigned
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by a person in this position. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties that may be performed in such a position.
1. Must be at least 18 years of age
2. Must possess High School diploma or GED and the ability to perform basic math (tuition payments, elders donations, meal counts, in-kind processing) and good writing skills (letters to parents, newsletters)
3. Must have six months to one year previous experience working with children, families, or with culturally diverse clients
4. Must complete 30hrs Basic STARS course and 10 STARS hours of continuing education each year
5. Must be neat in appearance and wear clothing appropriate for activities
6. Must possess strong written, verbal, and interpersonal skills
7. Must be able to carry forty pounds without difficulty, sit in a child-sized chair, move quickly from multiple positions and levels, and ride on a bus
8. Must obtain First Aid and CPR certifications within 30 days of hire
9. Must have initial TB test, and be free from communicable disease
10. Must possess current Food Handlers Permit before employment
11. Must pass state, federal, and Department of Early Learning fingerprinting and background checks
Physical Demands: Must be able to lift and carry 40lbs; able to stand (40% of time), sit (30% of time), as well as frequently stoop, squat, lift, kneel, bend, reach, and run (30% of time); possess manual dexterity sufficient to use hand writing materials, computers, and office equipment to prepare reports and documentation; be physically able to move through classrooms, ride along and load/unload from a school bus; Mental/Visual Demands: Constant mental, visual, and audio supervision of children and attention is needed. Tasks involve eye-hand coordination. Working Environment: mainly indoors with heat and some air conditioning. Outside time is required each day on playground or on field trips. Unavoidable hazards/risks: Possibility of exposure to blood and bodily fluids; possibility of exposure to communicable diseases. Protective clothing or equipment may be required (goggles, gloves, masks, boots, etc.)
Samish Indian Nation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively encourages applications from all persons regardless of race, religion, gender, gender identity, age, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, or ancestry. Samish preference and Indian preference will be applied to the selection for this position as defined in Title 25, US Code Section 473.
CONFIDENTIALITY: This position develops, maintains, and is responsible for safeguarding the computer/electronic and hardcopy file folders containing sensitive and proprietary information about the Tribe and its members. The incumbent must maintain confidentiality of all work and files pertaining to enrollment, clients, survey results, and all other material that may identify individuals by name (either directly or by reference), as set forth by the Tribal Council in the Personnel Manual. Any violation in this matter may result in immediate termination of employment.
Please state your eligibility for Indian preference in your cover letter. Indian preference must be documented prior to interview or hiring. BIA Form 4432 or tribal enrollment ID may be submitted with the application if claiming Indian Preference.
All persons who are offered employment with the Samish Indian Nation must give permission for a thorough background check of previous work performance, motor vehicle history, credit history and criminal history, as well as a pre-employment drug screen.
This position is a “covered position” under the Tribe’s Indian Child and Family Violence Act Policy and all applicants must undergo a fingerprint background investigation in order to be hired for this position. The Tribe will not hire, permit anyone to work or volunteer in a covered position if the person has ever been found guilty or entered a plea of no contest or guilty to any offense under federal, state, or Tribal law which involves violence, threat of violence, sexual assault, molestation, exploitation, prostitution, crimes against persons, or offenses committed against children.
To apply for this job please visit www.samishtribe.nsn.us.