Creating a Magical Natural Play Space or Outdoor Classroom
Research reveals the importance of nature contact and outdoor play in supporting children’s development. Supporting independence, the freedom to move, explore, and develop curiosity are foundational in Montessori theory. Centering around Exchange magazine’s article “Under the Gingko Tree: How One Family Child Care Provider Created a Natural Play Space for her Young Learners,” let’s explore how loose parts and Montessori theory can inform our thinking in the preparation of an outdoor classroom for any child care program.
This is a two-part series that meets on 8/17/21 and 8/31/21 from 6:30-8 pm. There will be fun homework to complete in the week between training dates.
This class will take place as a live, online class (it will not be recorded). Providers who register and pay will be emailed a link to register again with the Zoom videoconferencing platform. To receive STARS credit, participants will be required to interact in this session by typing comments or participating in surveys, polls, and discussions. Requirements include a stable internet access, audio via phone or speaker, and an email address. As a participant, you must be able to view the instructor and visuals aids. You will not be required to show yourself on camera, but it can be nice to have face-to-face contact. Tips for participating in the class will be emailed to you the week of the training.
Dates: 8/17/21 and 8/31/21
Time: 6:30 pm - 8:00 pm
Trainer: Sue Duncan and Julie Wasilewski
Core Competencies: Curriculum & Learning Environment, Level 3
- Up to $250 fee reimbursement may be available through MERIT.
- Registration and payment required 48 hours in advance
- Full refunds for cancellations are only issued with at least one day advance notice.
- Sorry, no refunds are available for last minute cancellations or no-shows. Those arriving more than 15 minutes late will not receive STARS hours or a refund.
- Class cancellations will be posted on our training calendar and registrants will be notified.
- You should receive an automatic confirmation email within minutes of registering. If you do not receive one, please check your spam or junk mail folders first, then contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for us to resend.
- Sorry! For online trainings it is not possible to register and pay for more than one person at a time. Please submit a separate registration for each person attending. Thanks!